EMERGENCY PREPAREDNESS MANAGER / SAFETY OFFICER
Example of Duties: Responsible for the overall management and administration of the Department’s Emergency Preparedness (EP) Program which exists to protect and improve the public health and well-being of all people in Anchorage by developing and maintaining coordinated public health emergency preparedness, response, and recovery capabilities for pandemics, natural disasters and bioterrorism events. Duties include oversight of all EP program activities relating to DHHS Public Health Emergency Response planning; preparation; employment and demobilization operations; training of department staff related to potential emergencies within the department and community; grant and budget management; strategizing with DHHS management in collaboration with the MOA Office of Emergency Management, State of Alaska, local hospitals and other agencies as necessary. Directly supervises two emergency preparedness professionals and one assistant. Supervision includes mentoring, scheduling, assigning and reviewing work, and evaluating performance. This position also serves as the department’s safety officer and is responsible for compliance with the rules of the OSHA, EPA and other regulatory groups. Ensures regular internal compliance inspections are conducted and recorded to identify and mitigate hazards as well as ensure employees are taking required safety precautions. The safety officer ensures proper documentation of all incidents, injuries and near-misses and provides employees with safety education, exercises and communication including municipal P&P’s, OSHA, EPA and other regulations. Perform other related duties as assigned.
High school diploma, GED or equivalent and eight (8) years of emergency preparedness experience.
Associate’s degree in Accounting, Business Administration, Public Administration, Human Resources, Purchasing, Computer Information Systems, Finance or similar discipline and six (6) years of emergency preparedness experience.
Bachelor’s degree in Accounting, Business Administration, Public Administration, Human Resources, Purchasing, Computer Information Systems, Finance or similar discipline and four (4) years of emergency preparedness experience.
Master’s degree in Accounting, Business Administration, Public Administration, Human Resources, Purchasing, Computer Information Systems, Finance or similar discipline and two (2) years of emergency preparedness experience.
Must have a valid State of Alaska Driver’s License by the time of hire.
- Experience planning and executing emergency preparedness activities
- FEMA Incident Command System Certifications (ICS-100.b, ICS-200.b, ICS-700.a and ICS-800.b)
- FEMA Professional Development Series Certifications (IS-120.a, IS-230.d, IS-235.b, IS-240.b, IS-241.b and IS-242.b)
- Experience in federal, state and local occupational safety regulations (OSHA, AKOSH, EPA)
- Experience in safety program development, implementation and evaluation
- Experience assessing safety training needs and designing, developing, coordinating and/or delivering safety training programs
- Leadership, supervisory, and/or management experience
- Experience with local government program operations; strategic planning; developing and applying internal and external stakeholder strategies; and/or developing, implementing, monitoring and improving programmatic/strategic outcomes
- Experience working with diverse populations
Deadline for Applications: Open Until Filled
Contact for ALPHA: Kristin Troxell Email: Kristin.email@example.com, phone 907-343-6553